Sunday, February 21, 2010

Valentine's Day

My kids are taking turns being sick this week and I've been up every morning by 6am and asleep every night around midnight. I wanted a girl's night out tonight but felt too tired. A trip to the gym and an actual meal later and now I feel way better so I'm off to see Valentine's Day with a friend. Hope it's funny. I need to laugh! And I need to see a good movie. Saw Dear John last weekend and thought it was totally mediocre. My opinion: it's no "The Notebook" so save the $$$ and rent it!
Fun fact: Julia Roberts got paid $3 million and she only appears in the movie for 6 minutes total. That's $500,000 per MINUTE! Cra-azy!!!



Did you see it yet? Is it good or will I be disappointed?

1 comment:

Mama V said...

I'm interested to hear your opinion on this one...
I, for one, was really disappointed. Really. For several reasons, and you may not agree with a single one, but... My hubby went to see it ith me. The first movie we have been to in the theatre since the baby was born. He was disgusted by everything it snuck in, laced with feel-good music and funny parts to make you feel like it was all "ok." I think even if I had not seen it with him, I still would have been disappointed.

Here's why...It wasn't "lovey-dovey" enough for a lovey-dovey movie called "Valentine's Day." I left rather depressed. It wasn't one of those that had me walking away feeling warm and gushy inside, which is what I was hoping for on V Day! Don't get me wrong. I love Gary Marshall and most of his other movies. And what a GREAT cast!!! I loved all of the appearances of his actors and actresses from his different movies over the years (including his cameo! Did you see him? He was the musician at the door whom Topher Grace's character shooed away). Anyway... Julia (loved the Pretty Woman reference about Rodeo Drive!), Anne Hathaway, Hector Elizondo, Larry Miller, and his own daughter Kathleen... all people he has directed multiple times...

But there were so many breakups, infidelity/cheating, phone sex, homosexuality (which finds itself in just about ANY "rom-com" these days!), stuff that even though it may be a realistic portrait of the messyness of true life, I truly felt sad... especially for a movie that marketed itself as a "feel good" movie...

Maybe I am looking into it too much... I know it had a good message in there somewhere. I loved the Julia Roberts portion (but so brief!), and I loved George Lopez's message on marriage... but it wasn't anything original that I had never heard before! Ok, that about sums it up for me. I could probably go on, but I should probably save it for a blog entry of my own since this is, in fact, YOUR blog! :) I don't expect for anyone to agree with me actually, but you DID ask, so... :) Love ya, Ang!