Saturday, February 20, 2010

1 Corinthians 10:13: An escape from a candy bar

The boy blog series will resume this coming week but I need to take the weekend off. Just can't find the time to write it (Hopefully another year won't go by...)

This is an amazing story of God's grace to me tonight, though. He provided a way of escape for me. You'll LOVE it! :)

So...I'm trying to lose my “baby” weight (How long do I get to call it that?) One thing that I have been convicted of is my love of sugar/sweets/candy/cookies/brownies/you-get-the-idea. It's pretty much the ONLY thing I will eat in excess even though it's something our body not only doesn't need but is damaged by.

So…I've been convicted to let it go. As in, not eat it. Every time I prayed about what/how to change my diet, that was the ONLY thing that came to mind. I didn't want to let it go. But I knew this week God was calling me to give it up. For now, anyway.

So...this week has been hectic: sick kids, lots going on, barely any sleep, etc. That's the kind of week that makes me crave sugar. Tonight, Jesse is out and the kitchen is dirty and all four kids need to go to sleep and are coughing and I start thinking how I just want some candy for a quick energy boost! Seriously. (And wine for relaxing after. Don't have any, though.)

So...there is a box of candy bars in the garage that we were selling in our neighborhood to raise money for Haiti. I decide that after I tuck all the kids into bed, I'll support Haiti and eat some sugar to give me some energy to clean the kitchen. I consciously decided that I didn't care if it would honor God or not. I was going to eat it. Maybe two.

So...I'm putting my older boys to bed and one of them says, "Mom, I've been tempted to eat my Valentine's Day candy in my bed tonight. I know it's not ok. I know you and dad wouldn't want me to and I know that even if you don't find out, God sees me disobey. So I'm confessing it to you. And I’m not going to eat any."

Ummmmm. WHAT?!?!?!?

I told him that I was actually being tempted to eat candy too. We prayed (and laughed a little) and then had a fabulous discussion on temptation and God’s grace as I tucked them into bed and I’m a little sad Jesse missed it because it was amazing.

So…I’m confessing it to you. And I’m not going to eat any, either. Thank you, Jesus!

1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”

1 comment:

lola said...

How Cute and Funny =)!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!