Thursday, March 11, 2010

Trader Joe's Thursdays

Since Easter is right around the corner (Shut up, Sierra!) I thought I'd post this dish. It was originally from Real Simple Magazine and it actually had ham in it. I don't like ham so I don't add it BUT I make it as a side dish when I make ham-like at Christmas or Easter. But add the ham to make a main dish for dinner and serve with salad and rolls.
Also,  I prefer to buy the goat cheese and Croutons from Costco because they are cheaper/better! But you can still get everything from TJ's if you prefer.

My Favorite Cauliflower Ever

2 tablespoons butter
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup milk (I've made it using 1% milk and couldn't tell the difference but it originally called for whole)
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets OR 1 bag of cauliflower florets
1/2 C. finely crushed croutons from Costco (bsically the stuff at the bottom of the bag when they are all gone. That's how the idea came to me inthe 1st place!) OR seasoned bread crumbs

~Heat oven to 400° F. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and light golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the cream, milk, and cheese and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until thickened, about 4 minutes. Add the cauliflower.
Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish and sprinkle with the croutons. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the cauliflower is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
*If you want to add the ham: Throw in a cup of cooked, cubed ham right after the onion is done and stir around for a minute. Then proceed as above.

3 comments:

Mellu said...

I love this recipe... I have made it quite a few times since you gave it to me. (and I don't even like cauliflower normally!)

Unknown said...

I eat cauliflower lots. This sounds good, but I don't like goat cheeses so I would use some other cheese. I don't think it needs ham either.
As to Sierra, it is not too early to think about Easter!

Sierra's Daily Menu said...

Your both crazy planers!!! LOL