Friday, March 12, 2010

Friday Blah and Eternal Glory

I told Jesse that I have nothing to say today and I don't want to write my blog. He said, "Don't do it!". Ha! But seriously, maybe I didn't want to articulate this week? It's been a really hard week for me. I was in tears a few times because I was just overwhelmed by all I needed to do and the realization that I didn't want to do it! Floors, toilets, laundry, getting up at 6am, cleaning poop off a toilet, cleaning pee off the floor, etc. All the mundane drudgeries that I hate to do.

But worst of all were the many times I realized that Jesus was not enough for me this week. I saw very clearly how my idols of comfort and control were more important to me than loving and serving my King.
All I want is Jesus. Oh, and a husband who loves me perfectly. And cute, smart, obedient, Godly kids with clean rooms and stylish clothes that always smile and go to bed at 7pm and wake up at 9am. (Potty trained and sweet smelling too, please!). And a spotless, huge house with fabulous furniture. And a cute butt and skinny thighs and a flat stomach and great hair (finally a check! Kidding. But I do like my hair!).

See, I say all I want is Jesus but when I don't get the things above, my mood is altered. Jesus isn't enough for me anymore. I'm angry, sad, jealous, pouty, depressed. And I struggled with this all week so that by today I feel exhausted.

But I am thankful and joyful that I struggled!!  As I walked for an hour in the sunshine today I thought about how I am a daughter of the King and will struggle with these things as long as I'm on Earth. BUT the struggle means the Holy Spirit inside of me is fighting my sin, exposing more and more yuck so I can become more and more holy!

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says: “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

So…although this was a tough week for me. It’s just a week. I’m heading towards eternity and this week is preparing me for Christ. And as I walk in the good works that God has prepared for me, even though they are hard, (including serving my family by cleaning poop!) I KNOW that I will soon partake of His incomparable riches and will be in joy forever more. This week is short. Eternity is long. And all of those “things” that seem so important are NOTHING compared with the joy I will have in that day!

2 comments:

Mama V said...

Oh, Ang! I LOVE how transparent you are!!! This post really blessed and convicted me! I am SO guilty of being discontent, and that is sin! Oh, and to think that I am saying Jesus isn't enough!!! That makes me so sad! Love you!

Mellu said...

Thank you for writing this blog (even though you didn't want to write anything this day) ... It was just what I needed to hear. Thanks for the reminder verses too. Love ya!