Saturday, March 27, 2010

Beach Walk

This morning I had to run to the mall for some make-up and by the time I got back I was discouraged again about what size clothes I fit into and the blotches on my skin. Guess I needed to read yesterday's post again. Ha! But I prayed that God would take away those thoughts so I could enjoy the day with my family. We were off to the beach for a family walk. We had planned to take the kids to a free Science Expo downtown but it was just tooooo nice out. 77 and breezy. Clear skies. Lovely. I hope I didn't ruin their chances of becoming scientists.

Walking on the beach it's impossible to not think of God. The ocean is vast, amazing, incredible. Created by a loving God. For us. Watching my kids run and play and jump in the water with my hot hubby made my heart feel full. I'm SO blessed.

Sometimes it's hard for me to focus on the things that I can be thankful, grateful for. It's easier to let my thoughts be consumed with what I'm not thankful for. That's a big part of my struggle with my body image-my mind.

As I walked, I thought about how my life is just a vapor and will be over soon. The things that upset me this morning are NOTHING in light of eternity. I can't allow those thoughts to weigh me down. I thought about how in Hebrews it says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." And I thought about how Paul says in Titus, “11For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.” And how in Colossians Paul admonishes us to, “Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.". I thought about these verses and how they went together.”.

Anyway, these verses all jumbled together in my heart and mind and as I meditated on them, I realized that God’s grace was given to me to not only say NO to the things of this world and my thoughts and desires but also to be able to live in peace and thanksgiving as I live the life He has for ordained me. See how they all mesh together? :)

I love the ocean and the beach and my family and above all, my God! The rest of life I’m sorting out and asking for more grace and peace and thanksgiving and joy and love because my God loves to lavish his children with these things. Especially at the beach!

No comments: