Friday, March 26, 2010

Do you worry about food and clothes, too?

Matthew 6:31-33: "So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

Ugh! I worry about what I'll eat (more accurately: what I won't eat, shouldn't eat) and what I'm going to wear all the time. Everyday. Am I here still? Still trying to lose weight, still insecure about my body, my clothes? Yep. The realization that I am sad over these things more than I am joyful about God's salvation hit me today. My thoughts are easily consumed with the very things Jesus told me NOT to be consumed by. And I don't think I'm the only woman who struggles with this disobedience.

Jesus knows my heart, my struggle, my desires. He knows what is best for me to eat or what to wear. But so often I just worry and think and plan my daily diet instead of praying. Asking God to guide my decisions and help me glorify him with my food. And my clothes.

As I meditated on these verses, I felt God whispering His love and care for me. In this struggle. In this place I hate to be and can't wait to leave. I want Him to be God over all of my life. Even my food and clothes. Especially my food and clothes. And He will guide me and help me and heal me. Because He LOVES me and cares for me greater than I could ever care for myself.

Praise God that I don't have to worry about those things. My life is more valuable to him than stressing over what I eat and wear. What a waste! He has given me one task, SEEK Him. His kingdom and righteousness. And all these other things will be added to me.

2 comments:

Mellu said...

funny how this has been hitting me as well. Especially now that I have this injury that is preventing me from doing much of anything (especially working out).
Strange how it is reassuring to know about others struggling with the same things, huh?
Thanks Angie!

Unknown said...

Angie, that was really lovely. It is so hard to always be consumed with the world and forget our focus. Nice perspective. I know I am your aunt, and it is my job to compliment (haha) but truly you are blessed with great writing skills. You are an awesome woman of God and I love you so.