Sunday, January 31, 2010

Goulash

Growing up, I never cooked. By never, I mean....never. We ate out a lot and I never learned how to cook ANYTHING! In college, our school had a meal plan and in the summers between college, I worked at a Children's Home and ate there or out to dinner with Jesse or friends.

So when Jesse and I got married I don't think I'd ever even made a real dinner! After our honeymoon, we stayed in a little cabin in Big Bear for 2 days while we packed all our stuff to prepare to move to Slovakia. That first night Jesse asked what we should do for dinner and if I was going to cook it. Hmmm....I vaguely remembered making a "goulash" in high school with some hungry, stoned friends (yep. that's what I just said.) I went to the store, bought the ingredients and made it. It was pretty simple: 2 lbs. of pasta, 2 lbs. of ground beef, 2 lbs. of cheddar cheese and 2 cans of spaghetti sauce. For me and Jesse! For one dinner! hahaha! Jesse ate a LOT but we still had a HUGE pot leftover. It's one of our funniest memories to this day.

Jesse wanted to make it tonight since we were having people over to watch the pro-bowl. So we did! I've learned a lot more about cooking in the past decade so we made a few adjustments and new additions....spicy sausage, cream cheese, Italian seasoning.

Anyway, that was the first meal I made as a wife and it was funny to make it again today!

Do you remember your 1st meal? ;)

2 comments:

kellycowan said...

that's a great story. loved it. i had the exact same experience with probably never making one real meal until marriage. i will NOT do that to my girls, promise!! because i remember feeling overwelmed by having to learn so fast and i wished i had been good at it for jason from the start. oh well. i completely remember making things like hamburger helper and being like - wala!!! look at what i made!! :)

Mama V said...

I think I made beef stroganoff! :)Haven't made it since!