Sunday, January 24, 2010

Identity

This week I have felt burdened. By my family, others, stuff. Not burdened in a way that they are on my heart and I want to serve them. The opposite. Like Martha. Burdened by much serving instead of spending time with Jesus. And then I feel like I've worked hard and been under appreciated. And sort of like a frumpy housewife.
Today at church, Pastor David talked about how we find our identity. He talked about how we are bombarded each day with thousands of "callings" that compete with our calling from Christ. Media and culture call us to define our identity based on our appearance, the things we have, what we do. But Christ calls us to find our identity in Him. I sat there, totally struck by the fact that I allow so many other things to sway, push, pull me. I hear many “calls”, everyday. Sometimes I listen instead of listening to God through His word. What peace, joy, strength, dignity I relinquish when I try to find my identity in anything but my true call in Jesus.
The passage from John 13 where Jesus washes His disciple's feet holds one of my favorite verses on this topic. "Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God, rose from supper. He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him." John 13:3-5
Jesus does an amazing act of service for people who do NOT deserve it, who are beneath him in EVERY way. This shocking act of humility was done even for the one Jesus knew would betray Him. I can't imagine. Sometimes I have a hard time serving my husband and kids and friends that I love. Some days of cleaning and raising kids seem to be filled with too many drudgeries that I feel like I should be doing something "more important" or "more glamorous". Or at least get paid a lot of money for it! ;) So HOW could Jesus serve like that? Because His identity was firmly in God. I love how this story is prefaced with "Jesus , knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God..." THAT is His identity. Nothing clouded his vision, he did not feel inferior, jealous, or angry at this task. Because He knew who He was and where He was going. He understood that His life on earth was but a vapor and shortly He would be back in glory!
But so will I! My life is a vapor, too. And when its over, I too will be going to God! If I live in this reality, this identity, my joy will be full and God will be glorified in me, just like He was glorified in His Son! The Bible says to meditate on God's word to be transformed and not conformed to the world that tries to conform us all day long! This needs to be my identity (not the Real Housewives of the O.C. hahaha!):
"If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory." ~Colossians 3:1-4
Can I get an amen, ladies? :)

1 comment:

Angie D said...

I love you, Angie! I've been having this same battle lately and I was so encouraged and strengthened to read your blog! Funny how when the Lord teaches me something, He almost always confirms it through someone or something. Today, it was YOU! :) Thanks for being faithful to speak your mind and to walk in the light of truth. I miss you like crazy, especially lately! I think seeing you has made it worse! lol At least we go to CA every year and can make the effort to see you guys. Kenny had such an incredible time with Jesse! Our family loves you all! Miss ya on FB, but TOTALLY understand the fast! :)