Thursday, January 7, 2010

Got any tips?

Did you know Burritos are  more fattening than tacos? And the crispy shell is LESS fattening than a soft flour one. Weird, huh? And depending on the pizza chain, a slice of plain cheese has MORE fat and calories than one with meat. Now, I know that I shouldn't eat either of those if I'm on a diet but it's hard to always eat good when you eat out. Especially if you have to grab fast food.
We eat out often due to necessity-out with friends, to and from church functions during meal times, going to community events, etc. where there is no time or place to bring food. So I need some ideas about which foods are best to get if I have to order from a "junk food" place or somewhere without easy to spot healthy choices.
Got any?!?!

2 comments:

Physibeth said...

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not necessarily good at this but these are things that have helped me in the past.
- If you know where you are going ahead of time look up the menu online and deside what you are going to get based on calories.
- Buy a calorie counter book or download an app for your phone...there are several good ones.
- Order child size, appetizer, or share with someone.
- Ask for a box at the beginning of the meal and put half your meal away as soon as you get it.
- Ask for food to be grilled with out fat or oil.

There are not bad foods and good foods...everything is about balance and choices and portions. If you have to get pizza get one with lots of veggies or low fat meats and use a napkin to soak up the excess fat. Order a salad with dressing on the side to make the meal more substantial.

I have gleaned lots of wisdom on this stuff over the years if you ever want to pick my brain. You might also want to look into the book "Eat This, Not That" which I have not read but heard is really good and addresses a lot of these things.

Lastly (sorry so long) you used the word "diet" and I would encourage you to think about making lifestyle changes vs going on a diet. It makes a big difference in your attitude towards food.

Hope this is helpful. Miss you beautiful lady!

Anonymous said...

I actually have a book that lists all the fast food restaurants and big chain places. It sows their menu and then tells you on the back what is a healthier choice to eat. I love it. Bought it at weight watchers. I am sure you can go into any WW and buy one. It's called the dining out guide or something like that.