Friday, December 18, 2009

Jesse's Birthday

Today is Jesse's birthday. He told me not to buy him a present. I hate not getting him anything but he'd rather pick out his own stuff and do things. He just went motorcycle riding this week and bought himself a UCLA jacket so he those were technically his "presents". So today I let him sleep in, made cards for him with the boys, and we'll all go whereever he wants for dinner tonight. Probably sushi!
13 years ago, I gave him a wrapped package of Nutter Butter cookies for his birthday. We weren't officially together and I wanted a present that would say I like you (those were his favorite cookie so it showed I paid attention to him) but not too much (it costs $3). The next year, he was my boyfriend. Almost my fiancĂ©e! I threw him a surprise party at Taco Bell. He hates surprise parties and almost didn't go in. (Oops-I didn't know! And how could I fall in love with someone who hates birthday parties?!?!) I also made him a journal with pictures all over it. He still has it. The next year, we were married and in Slovakia. I bought him fireworks and a really cool sweater from Benetton. In 1999, we were back in America-staying in Big Bear, pregnant with Knox and about to move to WA. I made a huge Mexican dinner for his family and some Big Bear friends. Plus a huge chocolate cake from scratch. I'm sure I bought him something but I mainly remember cooking ALL day. In 2000, we were dirt poor, had a baby and his 1st Christmas was around the corner so we were focusing on that. Jesse really needed a new watch but couldn't decide if he should get a nice watch or a casual watch since he was working outside doing landscape. I saved up my left over grocery money for 4 months to buy him both.
Gifts are one of my love languages. Not Jesse's. 13 years later it's still hard for me to realize that he'd rather have a nice card with heartfelt words then a pretty box to unwrap. I for sure wouldn't! haha! So while I will write him a lovely card, these are the presents I wish I could give him. And these are the presents I know he'd LOVE to get if money was no object! Card or no card! But I guess it's the thought that counts, right?

perfect surfing waves:


New Uggs:

A Nixon Tide Watch:


 jeans:



a 2010 truck:



So there you go, babe. Happy Birthday! I love you!

2 comments:

christy said...

Happy Birthday to Jesse. Love reading your blog. Keep it up! I'm all ears for boy advice-espeically for two year olds!!!

Mama V said...

I totally remember that surprise birthday at Taco Bell! How funny is that! Wow! That was awkward! HAHAHA!