Thursday, April 22, 2010

Trader Joe's Thursdays

A quick word about butter.
I add a tablespoon of butter to my pan chicken and some veggies I sauté because it tastes better and browns nicer. I don't think it's that big of a deal when split between 6 people. BUT if you are dairy free or anti-butter, leave it out.

My New Favorite Rice!
This takes about 15 minutes to make. Add any other veggies you want. This is what I had on hand.

TJ's frozen organic brown rice (comes in a box of 3 pouches)
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into chunks
3 leeks, sliced (just the whites)
1 pack of sliced mushrooms
3 TJ's frozen garlic cubes
olive oil
butter
soy sauce (leave out to make this gluten free. Tastes just as good!)
ginger
~Cook the rice according to directions, set aside. In a large pan, sauté the leeks in zucchini in olive oil until brown and tender-about 6 minutes. Set aside. Sautee the mushrooms in butter and garlic in a separate pan until tender-about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and rice to leeks and zucchini. Add a couple dashes of soy sauce and shake on the ginger. Stir together. Serve.

I made this rice last night with:
Simple Pan Chicken-Asian style

2-4 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise to make thinner
olive oil
butter
orange juice
soy sauce
~Sautee the chicken in olive oil until almost done. Add a little orange juice and a dash of soy sauce, cover and cook about 2-4 minutes. (I do this to ensure it's cooked because I'm freaked out about raw poultry) Remove lid so liquid can evaporate. Add a tablespoon of butter to pan and flip chicken to coat. Let chicken brown (about 1 minute in the butter) and remove and serve.



1 comment:

Angie D said...

Yummy! I was just at TJ's yesterday and now I'm mad I didn't get all the things necessary to make this yummy dish! :) I am constantly amazed at how cheap things are at TJs!