Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My grandpa

Today is my Grandpa's 90th birthday. Arthur Cassius Knox. We celebrated with a family party on Sunday. As a gift from the family, my aunt thought it would be nice for us to all write our favorite memories and send her a copy so she could collect them and present them all together in a "memory box". That way family in other states could participate too. I'm SO thankful to be near my grandpa in the twilight of his life and that my kids will get to know a man who is amazing! My cousin Aaron jokes that he's like Forest Gump because of all the things he's done in his life: driven in a Model T Ford when it was new, played in the largest college football game in history (Army vs. Navy), landed a fighter jet on a ship, crashed said jet (which he jokes about), fought in WW 2, played a huge role at NASA helping get the first man on the moon, and has loved our grandma for 65 years!!...just to name a few of his many accomplishments!
But to us grandkids, he is just our grandpa! The best, most awesome, totally loving, special, amazing Grandpa.

Here is what I wrote:

My Favorite Memories with you, Grandpa!


Most of my favorite childhood memories are wrapped up in you and my family. I loved to play in your backyard, eat apricots and watch the pumpkins grow. I loved snuggling up to you as you read me story books. And I still love hearing you tell me how I knew all the words and would never let you skip a page! I remember being so excited when you’d let me play beauty spa and I’d give you a foot soak and foot rub. Grandma used to laugh at how you made us pull your boots and socks off even though they were as big as we were. I thought you were the coolest grandpa ever because you called yourself Grandpa Dog and barked and pretended to eat Alpo. Please tell me you pretended! I thought you were the biggest and strongest man ever and was always amazed at how much food you could eat! You ate your own and then all the grandkids’ leftovers! You didn't get mad at us grandkids often so when you did we knew we were in trouble. Like the time we sold Grandmas decorations for quarters to buy candy or when we would throw underwear out on the roof or say rhymes with your name and a bodily function. You used to give us money to walk up to Thrifty and get ice cream cones and you’d take us swimming in the neighbor’s pool when they weren’t home. Playing “Kick-the-Can" was the best part of every holiday and my boys still ask to hear stories about how Great Grandpa Knox would come out of nowhere to save the day and kick the can. You told fabulous stories with too much modesty and we all loved hearing about your days at college, in the Navy and working for NASA. You were the only one who could teach me anything about Geometry and I loved your big hugs and hearty greetings of “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” whenever I came over to visit. When I was a crazy teenager you always told me how pretty and smart I was. When I tried on my wedding dress for you and grandma a few weeks before my wedding, you told me that Jesse will always think of how I beautiful I look on my wedding day since “every man does” and grandma whispered to me to try on her wedding dress to make you cry. I loved watching you dance with grandma at your 50th wedding anniversary and couldn’t wait for my own wedding the following week since I knew I was marrying a man just about as wonderful as you! You laughed with joy when I told you I was naming my first born son Knox after your family and you always tell me how great and strong and handsome my boys are. You have left an amazing legacy for all of us to follow and I’m privileged to be your first (and favorite! Kidding!) grandchild. I love you and Happy 90th Birthday!

Me, my 3 boys and my grandpa at his 90th birthday:


2 comments:

Unknown said...

How I love you Angie.

Schuller said...

Hi Angie,
I loved reading this letter to your grandpa. How blessed you are to have such a wonderful mentor.
Love, Donna