Wednesday, November 25, 2009

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

I'm a stuffing girl.


And I think stuffing lovers are sharply divided over the type: sweet or savory. Sweet being the stuffing with fruit and nuts, savory being the kind with meat or rice.
I'm strictly a sweet stuffing girl.
Our 1st Thanksgiving we lived in Slovakia and although they don't celebrate it, we wanted to. The other missionary wife and I took a train to Hungary to buy as much food as possible since our little town didn't sell anything we needed except potatoes. We didn’t do much better in Hungary. We had to buy jarred squash baby food to make pumpkin pie with a few other substitutions. And a gypsy women tried to steal my passport. But that's another story...
Anyway, the other missionary family wanted to make meat stuffing. Yuck! So I said I'd make my own. I finally found a recipe and set out to make it. But without any pre-made bread crumbs or instant stuffing packets or pre chopped convenience veggies I had to crumble the bread, bake the tiny cubes, chop up everything, sauté, boil, bake all by hand. Well, that was also the first stuffing I'd ever made. I'd never even made Stove Top. Actually, it was probably the 10th thing I'd cooked in my entire life.
And it was delicious. I kept sneaking bites from the pan while I cooked other dishes all day. When I finally got ready to bring all the food to our friend’s house for our Thanksgiving dinner, the pan of stuffing had dwindled down to almost HALF! So embarrassing. I transferred it to another dish and hoped no one would want seconds!
Like I said, I'm a stuffing girl.

Here's my super simple, sweet stuffing recipe that I’ll be making this year:
(I didn’t put measurements because I don’t know. I just go by how many people I’m making it for I like a lot of stuff in mine)
Buy some stuffing mix
Organic chicken broth. Buy the stuff in the paper carton. It's better than a can or bullion cube.
celery, chopped
sweet onions, chopped,
apples, chopped
pecans, chopped candied pecans, chopped
dried cranberries orange flavored dried cranberries
Butter
(Post edit: Trader Joes' was out of the plain varieties this morning. Sure the substitutions will be delicious though!)
~ Make the stuffing according to the package directions but use broth instead of water and throw in the the fruit and veggies while you boil the broth. Let the broth boil long enough to soften the apples, onions, cranberries and celery. After the stuffing is mixed in and moist, stir in the nuts. Bake for a bit while everything else cooks. Yum!




What is your favorite dish?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that sweet potato pie recipe that you gave me!!
-MC

Pinkie Winkie said...

I love that, too! Very, extremely close second! But since I've always been a stuffing girl I went with that. I grew up hating sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving. Alsways looked so gross.
I'm making both this year though! ;)

Jessi said...

oh gosh. I love you Angie, but yuck! Sweet stuffing? Never. Well, once I made a pumpkin stuffing - does that count? I'm going spicy sausage, cornbread stuffing all the way. Watch out.

But my favorite recipe? Pumpkin soup.

Nick said...

Hey Angie!

I noticed you used my photo for the stuffing. I actually updated the recipe since then.

Here's the new recipe. It's a little sweet and a little savory. Check it out!

Stuffing Recipe

Cheers and happy holidays,
Nick
Macheesmo.com

Anonymous said...

Sooo hard to choose a favorite! I love stuffing, specifically my inlaws cornbread stuffing (savory) but growing up I loved my mom's whole wheat stuffing which calls for a whole bottle of dried thyme!

Now I really like my sister's "Close Your Eyes and Imagine You're Home Mashed Potatoes" which are so delicious you don't need gravy!

My favorite things that I make come before the big feast...Creamy Butternut Squash Soup (savory) and Pumpkin Bread with Orange Buttercream Frosting.

The food has really become secondary for me. My favorite part really is just being together with tons of family all day. I'm always sad when it's over!

Anonymous said...

Oops, my Google account wasn't working so that anonymous comment was from me. ;)

-Angie D.

Unknown said...

wingrI love your dressing. I learned this week it's called stuffing if cooked inside the bird, and dressing if cooked in a casserole. Who knew. Or maybe everybody knew but me. Anyway, I'll miss you all....and your dressing or stuffing.....whatev.
Leslie

Unknown said...

My comment started with the silly word I had to copy when posting...too funny.