Saturday, November 14, 2009

I'm a soccer mom

This morning I was watching an re-run of The Practice. When it was on regularly it was my favorite show. It's about lawyers and ethics and morality and black and white and how they make shades of grey sometimes. I loved it. I wanted to be a lawyer for as long as I can remember-probably starting in kindergarten. I had a Great Lawyers of America coloring book (true story) and told everyone I was going to be a lawyer first, than a judge, then a Supreme Court Justice. Watching The Practice reinforced everything I was looking forward to: the courtroom drama, the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, the intellectual debates, the power suits.

But, I'm not a lawyer. I'm a soccer mom. As I was watching The Practice this morning, I was feeding my 6-month old daughter and getting my toddler ready for my 6-year old son's all day soccer tournament and my husband is the coach of said team. I would be driving to this game with chairs, a cooler of drinks, diapers, sunscreen all loaded up in my Suburban with personalized plates (true story). Yep-I'm a soccer mom.

Have you ever thought something would be really great and then something even greater happens that you didn't expect? (It's like the time we went to see Matt Kearney open up for this band we'd never heard of called The Fray and they rocked the mic!)

Well, that's what happened to me. When I turned 19, God grabbed a hold of my heart and never let go. My desires changed and suddenly a couple years later I was married and a missionary in Slovakia and then a mom. It's been a crazy journey ever since. It's not always fun or exciting and I haven't been in a courtroom since but there are still intellectual debates and lots of drama! I'm a soccer mom so of course there is the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat (a little more agony this season though-keeping it real. Jesse kinda got stuck with some duds). No, my life is not what I ever expected it to be but better than I ever imagined.

Now, if only I could find a reason to wear some of those power suits...

No comments: