Sunday, November 15, 2009

Community

On Thursday nights I meet with my missional community. What is that? Simply put, it's a group of people from my church Kaleo that are covenanting to do life together and be the church in a tangible way while serving together in the community so that our unbelieving neighbors will see it and want Jesus too.
Awesome, right? It is. It's a blessing. I'm learning and growing in community. While it's easy to see how this is a fantastic thing, sometimes it's...hard. I'm prideful and selfish and that makes true community difficult. But I want to live my life with others who know me well. And care for me. And love me. And encourage me. And I want to do the same for those people. And together, I want to reach my neighborhood (all of San Diego, really!) for Jesus.
The New Testament speaks of the church as a family. Besides Jesus, nothing is as important to me as my precious husband and four precious kids but I hope that my life will become so intertwined with the fellow believers in my missional community that I consider them as precious to me as my own family.

John 13:35 "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

1 Thessalonians 5:11 "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing"

Hebrews 10:24-25 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

1 John 1:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."

Are you living in community with believers?

No comments: