Thursday, November 12, 2009

Can I do a year of blogs?

I haven't written in awhile. I want to. But I just...can't. I have the raising boys series hanging over my head and I've been so overwhelmed that it seems ludicrous to be writing to others about how to raise their own kids!
But I want to write more. It would be a good outlet for me and I need an outlet. Well, one that doesn’t cost money anyway.
I just read Julie and Julia and I wanted a project, too. I don’t want to cook everyday for a year though. But what about writing. Everyday. For a year. I like it. I can do it.
So I sit down during my first bit of free time this morning and I'm already exhausted from the past hour! I want to write something big, important, meaningful. I want to change your life and mine. But my mind is blank, I am still in my pj’s. And I have a cup of hot tea I want to drink. I need to clean the house. Take a shower. Do laundry. Check Facebook. I can't write right now! Plus, SpongeBob is blaring in one ear and Lucas is alternating between sucking his thumb on the couch next to me and swan diving onto my head. As I type. My life is funny, I think. You’d laugh at my life, and we all need to laugh right? So…instead of something amazing, I’m going to give you a glimpse into my life. Well, a glimpse into the last 2 hours of my morning...

6am=I wake up. No one is crying! Yes! I can read my Bible. I'd go make tea but I'm scared to wake up any little people so I stay put. Jesse is snoring so loud! I push him a little and he kind of rolls over. Not really peaceful but it works. Proverbs 12 and Mark 10. I'm encouraged. And convicted. “A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.” I read. Hmmm. Uh-oh. "Lord, help me not be a fool!" I pray. I pray some more and then I hear them. All FOUR! At once. Ok, let's go!

6:39am=I weigh myself. Guess those wontons last night were a BAD idea…And that’s all I have to say about that.

6:40am=I’m bottle feeding Ava while Lucas is screaming for "milk too!" as he pushes a plastic bowl on my foot. I think he's trying to put my foot in the bowl but it actually hurts! "STOP IT!!!" I scream and throw the bowl, totally annoyed. He looks at me, wounded and then smiles. Oops, guess I already blew it. I'm thinking about this as I hear something I'm blocking out. Oh, it's Lucas SCREAMING. He's screaming MOM! and it makes Ava cry. This makes the boys laugh, who all this time are playing video games about an inch away from me. At least they're dressed for school. "Knox, get your brother some milk. “Caleb, put lunch pails in backpacks." They grumble about some level they were almost to but obey as I change Lucas’ and Ava's diapers. Lucas doesn't want to wear his pj's anymore so now he's only in his diaper. Whatever.

7:10am= Ava is playing happily in her saucer while I make the boys breakfast. Scrambled eggs and cereal bars from Trader Joe’s since it’s almost time to leave to take the boys to school. “Mom, did you make D.J. a lunch too?” D.J. is a boy in one of my son’s classes who my son noticed rarely has a lunch. It disturbed his little heart so much he couldn’t stop crying over it one night. So, I’ve made him a lunch since then. I’m grateful for my son's sweet heart and start thinking about how I should write the boy blog after all when he begins screeching in his sister’s face, “hi baby, hiiiiii baaaaabeeeee!”. I smack him on the head as he laughs. Maybe not.

7:25am= Ava is crying, Lucas is crying for more food and I’m making sure the big boys are ready for school because they will be late if we don’t leave in 5 minutes. Thankfully, Jesse is still here so I can leave Lucas and Ava with him! “Brush your teeth, brush your hair, get your backpacks and shoes on, get your scooters and helmets, let’s gooooo!” I sound like that annoying mom song. That sucks. And I am vaguely aware of the fact that I’m hungry (I despise eggs so I haven’t eaten) and I would love a hot cup of tea.

7:30am= I go start the car with one son already in the front seat and one comes trailing out of the house. Hair unbrushed with a milk moustache. “Go brush your hair! And brush your teeth! (“I did brush my teeth!”) “Then wash your face!” My other son starts to laugh and I see food all in his teeth. Yuck! “You go brush your teeth too!” “I did!” I flip down the mirror and tell him to look. I think even he’s grossed out as he scurries back in the house. As I’m sitting there my mind flashes to them in junior high and I smile to myself thinking I won’t have to worry about girl nonsense if they keep up this hygiene plan…

7:34am= We’re off! I’m driving them to school in pj’s with flip flops and a sweater over it. No time for make-up or hair brushing for me. Ewww. I’m scary. I’m halfway there (its 2 blocks away) when I notice my son in the back seat is actually just sitting in Lucas’ car seat. No seat belt. I’m not proud of this but I let him stay in it since I decide its safer than moving while I'm driving. He has a helmet on though. Yeah, I’m not sure why either. Talk turns to Christmas presents and I ask if we should get Lucas a scooter or a trike. “Get him lipstick!” one son says, and giggles. I giggle too. It was funny. We pull up to the car line and of course there is someone to open the doors since I look crazy and my car is dirty and my son is sitting in a car seat. Oh well. “Schools not that hard that you have to wear a helmet, is it?” he jokes. I give a courtesy laugh; tell my sons “Bye. I love you!” and drive home to write this blog.

8am=I'm writing and right now Lucas has successfully wedged himself onto my chair, between my butt and the chair back and is screaming "Bob-Bob" excitedly. Oh, and burping. But I finally drank that tea!

See you tomorrow! :)

5 comments:

lola said...

LOL.....I LUV IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mares-e-dotes said...

cute, cute, cute and way too cute! It's going to be the best year of my life! ;) LOVE your writing- love those kids...

Mama V said...

If you were just to give us a play-by-play of every morning just like you did today, I think we would all be thoroughly amused. Love you!!!! You are such a great mama!!!

Karly said...

I'm so excited to be hearing from you every day! I miss you friend!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! You are the best writer! Make me smile everyday. love you!