Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jane

Today is my youngest sister's birthday. Jane Alexandra Olds was born two decades ago but it seems like yesterday. When my parents brought her home I thought she was a present for me. I was absolutely, completely, 100% in love with her. A few days after she came home from the hospital I wrote her a poem. I loved writing little poems when I was young and kept them in a Hello Kitty notebook so I called them the Hello Kitty Collection (of course! Hey, I was 10-12 years old). My dad found the book and sent it to me last year! Here is the poem I wrote for Jane twenty years ago:

Jane Alexandra
I thought joy was a myth
Until the day November Fifth.
When my baby sister was born
On that cold November morn.
She opened up her little eyes,
Eyes as blue as the sky.
I know now that love is real,
It comes from the love I feel!

Happy birthday sweet sister! I love you!

No comments: