Thursday, August 21, 2008

Theology

I went to Bible College and I have a degree in Theology. I have read hundreds of books on the subject. I've researched and written papers on eschatology, soteriology, and ecclesiology. I am familiar with all the views and all the theories and all the systems. Plus, I'm married to a pastor who has all of this knowledge and much more. And he has countless books at my disposal.

So you think I'd be prepared for my children's questions about God. But sometimes I'm not.

Last night, like every devotion time, they asked questions about what we read. And those questions turn into more questions and so on. One questions was, "Will our glorified body fart and poop?" (Insert hilarious laughter for about 2 minutes-they are 5 and 8 year old boys, after all)

Some I had answers for. "What is hell like?" "Will I know you in heaven?" "What does heaven look like?" "What will we do there?" The scriptures speak to these things and I was able to read them and they were satisfied.

But others didn't have as satisfying of answers. "How can we know God existed forever?" "What is He made of?" "How big is He?" "How can He be everywhere at once and see everything in the whole world if we never see Him?"

Sometimes their little faces look disappointed when there isn't an answer other than, "Because God said so, in the Bible."

And I panic inside. I don't want them to doubt. I don't want them to lose their child-like faith. They love God but they want to know Him the way they know everyone else they love. They want to see Him and talk to Him and touch Him. They believe, but sometimes they want the tangible evidence.

But you know what, so do I.

I don't doubt God is near but sometimes I want to see Him. I don't doubt that God will guide me, but sometimes I want to hear His voice tell me what to do. I don't doubt that his Word will comfort me, but sometimes I want to feel His arms around me instead.

So I remind them, and myself, that Hebrews says, "faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible." And "without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."

By faith, we understand more and more each day. But faith is a gift from God, Ephesians says. And as we draw near to God, our faith increases but the more our faith increases, the more we long for a deeper knowledge of God. But we will never understand all His ways.

So while I do my best to always be ready to give an answer for the hope within, it is God who continues to give the faith to understand.

As our sons grow deeper in the grace and knowledge of the Lord, we'll be there to answer their questions along the way while trusting that He who started this good work in them will be faithful to complete it. We trust becasue He's being faithful to complete it in us.

This morning, Knox said, “You know, it’s cool that God is here with me while I play video games.”

“I just wish I could see Him.”

I smiled and said, "So do I."

And we will see Him. One day. When faith becomes reality and we spend eternity in heaven with Him.

Which is the whole point of theology, isn't it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was encouraged by your blog today. You are a very talented writer! I can hear your voice as I read the paragraphs. :)

Jessi said...

I cannot wait till the day my son asks if our glorified bodies will poop & fart. And I actually can't wait to be terrified of the other questions to. Lord, I just can't wait till that sucker can talk to me and tell me if he wants milk or water.

Shannon said...

That was really encouraging. I hope you write all the time..
I swear my time doing our bible study book everyday with the kids is the most rewarding. Teaching them the word has strengthened me so much. They understand God in such a simple clear way. They ask questions that teach me as I answer them. We work through issues they dont understand i.e. "why hasn't God made Grandpa know Him" "Why hasnt God made you feel better Mommy" and I learn. My faith has grown. It is exciting to grow together with our kids. To learn things at the same time as they do. To encourage each other in those things. I love it.
And BTW... My girls have also asked the same silly questions.. "Will we poop and fart in heaven?" and im sure with the same adorable giggles along with it. ;)