Thursday, August 14, 2008

Love and Marriage part2

1997


So where was I? Oh yes. We became a couple.
And then we broke up.


Bible College was a pressure cooker and our blossoming romance was tumultuous. We broke up and got back together and broke up...and got back together. Several times. During the course of two months. The first time happened after Jesse had read the story of the rich young ruler in Luke 18. He walked up to me after lunch and said that I was the most precious thing to him in the world. (awww, I thought). "So I need to let you go. It's over." he said. (I wasn't expecting that twist). I was stunned. "Sure, no problem. See ya around", I muttered. Or something like that. I went back to my dorm room and cried. We took turns breaking each other's hearts for the next month. We annoyed our friends and roommates with the drama. I even went on a date with another guy. The youth pastor of a local church. He was a total dork and I sat through dinner thinking about Jesse.

Then a crisis. My friend told me she was pregnant and leaving Bible College with her boyfriend. I didn't know what to do but I knew who would. I ran to find Jesse. Together we spent the weekend with this couple at my parent's house. We cried and prayed and gave them advice. Finally, they left and decided to get married in Vegas. (They are still married and that little blessing has multiplied. They have three kids now!)
But being together that weekend reminded us we loved each other and ministering together reminded us that we belonged together. So, we got back together.

And that was that.

A few months later, we were working together at a camp, running the youth program for the week. After a nightly chapel, a women came to see Jesse and told him she had a word from the Lord. She told him God had spoken to her that night and she needed to tell Jesse something. Tentatively she said that he was "not to be afraid to marry the girl sitting next to you." "I hope she's not your sister", she added sheepishly.

God confirmed this in Jesse’s heart and while he was only a baby, ok-19 years old, he began to plan on becoming my husband. But he had a few other things to work out. He was leaving in January to finish his last semester of Bible College in Austria-the extension campus that focused on foreign missions work.

God also laid it on Jesse’s heart to go with another couple to Slovakia to plant a church after graduation in June. He didn’t want to go without me but he was a broke, teen aged college student. So he saved up doing odd jobs (fun story-another time), bought a ring and went to talk to my parents. He said it was intimidating but my parents loved and trusted him and gave their blessing, even though he didn't have a job.

I thought he might propose soon. He had made it clear to me that he wanted to get married next summer. And I had made it clear that I needed at least six months to plan a wedding. And I wouldn't plan a wedding without a ring on my finger! But his birthday came and went (what could be a better present than me?!) and then Christmas. Still no ring. And then New Year’s. And still no ring.

And then I had the ring on my finger. But now I’m into 1998…..

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh Angie! I remember it all! Us all telling you that you were crazy going out an a DATE! Ah! The horror! Bible college people dont DATE and what about JEsse. We all knew you would get back together AGAIN. I love you so much! I remember when you guys came to the youth camp where I was with my youth group. And I remember that lady you said had talked to Jesse. I am so so blessed to have been able to see your relationship blossom. God is so good! Crazy San Clemente princess and a Big Bear jock! Who would have thought that you would be who you are and be where you are. I love it!