Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My 1st blog

This is my first time ever writing for the world to see. OK, three of my friends. But whatever. I love writing. Prayers, poems, stories-anything. I love reading things other people write, too.

My grandma, Kathleen Knox, always writes. For as long as I can remember she has written me a little 4-line poem on my birthday card (and now my husband's and my three boys' too!). She writes a letter to each of her great-grandchildren at their birth to welcome them to the family and express her love for them. She is amazing and I have always admired her ability to express herself in word. Sometimes I think I'm too busy to keep up with my life and write but then I remember my grandma had 10 kids and she did it! She has written editorials for local newspapers, poems, short stories and is working on an autobiography for her family to have after she's gone.
So, this 1st blog is about why I will blog and to honor my grandma who I love and miss (she's alive, but in Cali).

Here is an excerpt from the letter she wrote to Knox, my first son and her first great grandson, to commemorate his birth:
"You bear a family name, a strong name, and may you bring honor to it all your life. You're a beautiful child...your picture tells me that. You are the culmination of your parents' love. You are potential wrapped in a blanket and pushed in a stroller. You are so many things, but of the greatest, never-ending importance is that you are a child of God. God bless you, dearest child. Your world is bright and you are loved by two whose world is made rich because of you. They love you beyond all measure...truly there is no measure to love anyway. They will care for you and cherish you, and make possible for you all good things. You are truly a most fortunate child. I love you."
What a love! What a legacy I am blessed to have. I love you, grandma!

5 comments:

Angie D said...

What an amazing letter from your grandma! I wish I had the word power to convey emotion like that. I look forward to reading your thoughts. :)

Jessi said...

You are potential wrapped in a blanket and pushed in a stroller.

That may be my favorite line ever! Welcome to the fun little blogging world. And seriously, ten kids - she is my hero!

Jessi C

melissa C said...

ditto to the amazing grandma! Wow... what a gem!
I am bad at keeping up on friends' blogs, but I will check back here every once in a while.

Mary Olds said...

My Sweet Angie,

You are allot like your wonderful Grandma. I love what you said! Little tears and big hugs to you my baby. Kathleen is an awesome great-grandma. The boys are lucky to have her!!! because their own granie is crazy.
Hugs, Mom

Shannon said...

Add me to the list of readers! :)