Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Keeping a Quiet Heart

I really, really love my life. But then sometimes I don't. One day I am praising God and thanking Him for my blessed existence and then the next thing I know, I'm discontent. My mind starts swirling with things I want but don't have or things I have but don't want. And suddenly everything is too overwhelming, every trial seems to crush me and I despair. "Why is my life so hard? Why isn't it what I want!"
But...what do I want? Do I want what God has for me? All the time? Even the pain and trials and valleys? Do I accept these as gifts from my Heavenly Father, just like the gifts of joy and prosperity?
David said: "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup and made my lot secure." Psalm 16:5.
To accept my portion from the Lord, means I must acknowledge that there are no other options. This is my portion, this is my lot. And it is secure because it is from my Lord.
It is my response to the portion that matters. Do I accept what the Lord gives with a heart of faith- or of fear? Satan loves to cause chaos in our mind. To cause doubt and fear and to question God's love and goodness for us. But what about Tragedy? Pain? Sorrow? How can this be from a loving God? Elisabeth Elliot says, " We can only know that Eternal Love is wiser that we, and we bow in adoration of that loving wisdom."
God loves to comfort us, to give us His peace as we trust Him. Isaiah said: "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you."
Trusting God means being content with what God gives.
It is enough.
It is good.
It is my portion.
And then my heart is…quiet.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

So so true. Thank you for that reminder. I love her book Keep a Quiet Heart. I need to dig that out and read it again. My heart has been very loud and chaotic. I am learning this week that when I strive to think and do what the Lord wants I do have peace of mind. That makes going through the hard times so much better. Not totally easier but better. :)