Thursday, June 4, 2009

Medication part 2

I wanted to address some comments and emails I got regarding my last blog. First, I'm so flattered people read this and take the time to give me feedback. Crazy. I just thought some of my friends read it. And probably just occasionally. HA!

But I wanted to address those who commented or contacted me thinking I was saying Christians shouldn't take anti-depressants. Or that it is wrong to do so. I won't reiterate my whole post BUT I just wanted to re-state that I think there is definitely a time for people to take medication. It's helpful, necessary and a gift from God. BUT....it is handed out like candy in the U.S. and sometimes it is NOT necessary or beneficial. I agree with a comment on my last post that doctors are wise and should know what we "need". But like I experienced, doctors were willing to medicate my depression instead of finding out WHY it was there. And I'm not alone in experiencing that which is why I wrote the blog.

So, bottom line that I hoped to convey...If you are depressed, prayerfully asses WHY? Is it physical, spiritual or emotional? Or a combination of those? If so, treat the cause and if it's physical/mental and medication is needed, take it! And if it's not, seek out the appropriate treatment because depression is NOT just due to needing anti-depressants. There are many causes and treatments and we need to be wise and discerning to figure out what is best for YOURSELF!

Blessings to you all!

No comments: