Saturday, June 6, 2009

Girly Moms Raising Masculine Boys

Lately I have been getting a lot of compliments on my sons' behaviour-particularly the older two. I've even been asked for advice and encouragement on a mom's role in raising masculine boys. I'm so thankful and flattered that people see my sons as something to emulate so I wanted to share a few things that have really helped me in raising my sons.
First, nothing is new under the sun, right? I didn't come up with or invent any new parenting philosophy. I read a ton, listened to a ton of great sermons and most importantly have a fabulous husband who is an amazing dad. And no one is perfect, least of all me! But I've been raising boys for a decade and God has blessed me with three sons so hopefully my HARD learned lessons will help someone else!

So...raising boys. Too broad so I've divided it up into a few topics to overview. And I'm going to focus on raising boys from infancy to adolescents since that's all I've experienced so far! ;)

First of all, moms need to understand the importance of their femininity in shaping the masculinity of their sons but I already addressed this on another blog last year. (Look it up! haha! Actually, maybe I'll post it again?!?!?)

Here are the rest of the topics I want to address in my little series:

I. You are Raising a Future Man NOT a Baby Boy

II. A Boy's Behavior= Boyishness vs. Childishness vs. Foolishness (what to embrace, what to train, what to discipline)

III. Teaching Chivalry and Respect

IV. Common Mistakes Boy Moms Make

Okay, stay tuned. Part I. is coming soon...

3 comments:

Nick said...

This looks great. Jess and I cannot wait. I am especially excited to hear what is good to let slide, and what should be addressed for discipline in regards to how boys act.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read your thoughts...

Mama V said...

Oh my goodness, Ang!!! This could not come at a BETTER time!!! --As I TOO am a girly mom raising a little man! And Matt & I SOOO desire to raise a godly young man (but I want to be a fun mommy too like I see you are with your boys!) I don't want to be so uptight that I don't let him LIVE, you know? Can't wait for this series!!! XOX