Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mothering a Daughter

So, last year when I started this blog I was the only one in my family who liked pink. In about 60 days, another will join us who will like pink, too. Or wear it everyday, at least! As I look at her precious clothes, blankets, shoes...I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed by the joyous reality of finally having a daughter. I feel prepared to love her, and care for her and dress her, of course, but shepherding a little girl's heart is foreign to me.

As I think about raising my own little woman, I'm struck by the struggles and sins Ava will face. It seems every toy and show and game for a little girl is about being a princess, or a hero, or finding beauty, or becoming a star... basically, making much of themselves. How am I going to teach her that is more important to make much of Christ? As she is dressed in darling outfits with sparkles and shiny shoes, how can I teach her that it is far more important to care about what her inner being looks like? As she is asked over and over what career she wants when she grows up, how will I teach her to value being a wife and a mother the way God does? When her tears and charm manipulate people and produce the desired results, how will I convince her that it is deceptive and a sin of defiance? When she is loud and wants to be the center of every one's attention, how will I train her to see the folly of that?

My heart is somber since I know the battle for her heart will be relentless, just like it is for me still. And as I walk with her, training her in the ways of the Lord and what it means to be a woman who fears the Lord, I pray for wisdom and strength and courage to answer these questions-and the many more that are sure to come. As much as I will delight in her, I pray I will show her that my true delight is only for the Lord and that she will follow me in delighting in Him above all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You'll do great. I'm just glad I don't have to go through another circomcision.

Jessi said...

hilarious, Jesse.

This is really beautiful and inspiring. I CANNOT wait to meet you.

kalle said...

this is really beautiful. you're a good mom. i'm glad i know you

Unknown said...

Angie, in many ways i thought i was reading Ecclesiastes and Proverbs from the Bible! Thank God He gives you wisdom, pray for it everyday. There is no greater thing to pray for! Your little Ava will be all you need her to be and the boys are so delightful, and always will be! I am glad we are family... Nancy