Wednesday, September 24, 2008

With a whole heart

Now pregnant with child number four and already in love with HIM or HER, I have been thinking about a conversation I had with one of my sons many months ago. He was asking me who I loved best, which son (obviously hoping I’d choose him!). I told him that I loved all my boys the same but that wasn't a very good answer to him. He felt sure I had to have a favorite since he has a favorite everything. So I explained that when God put a baby in my tummy, it was like He also gave me a whole new heart for that baby so I could love each of my kids with a whole heart just for them. No one is loved more or less, they are loved the same-each with a whole heart.

While this isn't physically true, it somehow must be. It was amazing to me how much I could love my son Knox when he was born. There was never a cuter, smarter, stronger baby in the whole world. Until his brother Caleb was born. And then the same love, pride, and joy flooded my heart again. Yet it hadn't dissipated from the first time. And then those feelings flooded my heart yet again when Lucas was born.

So if my heart can be filled with a fierce and unyielding love, never emptying and yet filling completely anew, God MUST give me a new heart each time he gives me a baby.

But with each new heart He gives, I think God takes pieces of my brain to compensate....

1 comment:

Jessi said...

this is really beautiful. It is a crazy little mystery. I was definitely worried I couldn't love Glor as much as I loved Elias, but I found that I did for sure - but Glory definitely made me love Elias more, if that makes any sense!